Thursday, July 22, 2004

The Open

So here's the thing: I know it's not a good attitude to have, but when I see a golfer that's out of the top 20 win a major tournament, I can't help but feel a little cheated. I mean, I'm happy for the guys who win and all, but part of me feels as if they haven't earned their stripes yet. Majors are built up to be so important, so elite, and I just expect that to mean that the elite golfers are the ones that are going to win. When they don't, it's as if I've been cheated a little bit. I know, it's not right, but I still feel that way.
 
While I'm on the subject of the latest major, what exactly should it be called? The British Open or The Open Championship? I'm a little bit torn on the subject. Part of me says that, since I'm an American, I should refer to my tournament (the U.S. Open) as "the Open" and refer to the British as the British Open. But at the same time I can see the other side of the argument. I mean, it's the original, so it deserves a little more respect. Even so, I wouldn't expect a European to call my tournament "the Open", so why should they expect the same from me?
 

0 comments: