Monday, August 02, 2004

Pouting Tiger?

Blogger Vance posted on his site about Tiger Woods' post-round interview with Peter Kostis yesterday, and about how he appeared to not be in a very good mood. I noticed the same thing, and I'm not a person who notices those types of things too often. Blogger speculates that Tiger is tired of having to answer the same tired questions over and over... "Why aren't you winning?", "The swing sure looks better. When are you going to win again?".
 
While I agree that he is probably tired of the questions, I would make the argument that Tiger needs to be willing to take the bad with the good. If he's going to be the top player in the world, he should expect that people are going to want to know why he's not at the top of his game. It's the nature of the beast, and I think Tiger is willing to deal with it. He's been very gracious with the media for the most part, and I think he's a very articulate, honest and accommodating person when it comes to interviews. I think something else is going on with Tiger that maybe we don't know about. I noticed at the British Open, in one of his interviews and on the course, that he looked totally worn out. Maybe he's tired of the grind. Maybe he wants to do a David Duval and drop off of the face of the earth for a while. I don't know what it is and it's really none of my business. All I know is Tiger doesn't appear to be enjoying the game like he used to.
 
And finally, I think the reason Tiger isn't winning more is because everyone else is better. Sure, Tiger's swing is off, but it seems that everyone else's swing is on. I was just thinking while watching the tournament yesterday that there are about 7 or 8 guys out there who, if they are in a tournament, you can just about guarantee that they are going to be at or near the top. A few years ago, everyone seemed to have a bad week now and then, but not anymore. Thanks to Tiger, everyone has brought their game up to a new level. Ironically, Tiger is the one having to deal with the repercussions.
 

0 comments: