Sunday, August 29, 2004

A Small Distinction

I got to thinking about something on the back 9 today. For probably 10 years now, I've been stuck in the ever popular "trying to break 90" category. Oh, I've broken 90 on several occasions, but I'm talking about doing it on a regular basis. I got to thinking today, though, that maybe I'm playing as well as I will allow myself to play.
 
What I mean is that, for years, I have tried to play "bogey golf". I use bogey as my par and if I can play a round of golf by averaging a bogey on every hole, I basically go home happy. But the bottom line is that I can do that fairly consistently now, and so to play bogey golf shouldn't be good enough for me anymore. I need to train my mind to think par instead of bogey.
 
I realized this after making birdie on the 12th hole to get myself to "one under bogey" for the day. I left the hole thinking "if I can finish off the next 6 holes well, I'll shoot 89". I was, without realizing it, talking myself into making bogey on the next 6 holes instead of trying to push myself to par the next 6... or at least go into each hole trying to make par. Instead of thinking 89, I should have been thinking "I'm 11 over through 12. I'm on pace to shoot 83".
 
It's a small distinction, but one that I think I need to make in order to take my game to the next level.
 

0 comments: