Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Spyware: Out Of Control

This spyware stuff is out of control.  I would even go so far as to say that it's currently a bigger problem than viruses.  I make a few extra bucks every now and then by doing the odd computer repair, and in the past 6 months to a year, the bulk of my repairs have been concentrated on the removal of spyware.

The problem is that, while a lot of people out there have probably heard of spyware, they don't worry about it as much as they worry about viruses.  We've all heard for years about the dangers of viruses and what they can do to your system, and most of the PC's I work on have some type of antivirus program installed (even if it's not updated).  But with spyware, people seem to look at it as more of an annoyance than a danger.

This may be true for the most part, but it will be nice when the word finally gets out about the adverse effect spyware can have on general PC performance.  When people finally realize that spyware is a big part of why their PC is "slowing down", maybe they will be more willing to be proactive about stopping it.  One thing I would welcome would be to see the Dell's of the world start to include anti-spyware programs on new PC's with 3 or 6 month trials, the same way they do with anti-virus programs now.

I just purchased Spy Sweeper for my own system, and so far, I'm pretty impressed.  I didn't have a big presence of spyware on my system.  I purchased it mostly for testing purposes, to be able to recommend it to some of my clients.  But I did have a few pieces on my system that the program was able to find and clean.

0 comments: