Tuesday, June 14, 2005

U.S. Open Coverage

With the U.S. Open starting this Thursday, I'd say I'll be spending most of my time at home this week on The Golf Channel. I think the "Live From..." coverage begins tonight, with Kraig Kann and the krew telling every story worth telling this week, and probably making up a few along the way. They're all very knowledgable, and I love hearing them go back and forth with pretty much every scenario that could play out this week.

You can bet the Big 4 will be a big topic of conversation, with Tiger getting most of the attention as always. Heck, they might even talk about Retief Goosen, what with him being the defending champ and all.

Dave Pelz will show his face at some point I'm sure, with his expert advice on how the "finesse game" will play into the final outcome. And he's right. From what everyone has been saying, the short game will play an important roll in determining the winner. But I've also heard that the rough is going to be pretty... rough. For that reason, I can't predict winners such as Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods, neither of them being the straightest of drivers. I would probably pick Tiger over Phil, though, just because Tiger would have enough sense to hit a fairway wood or long iron off the tee, where Phil will probably take out the driver every chance he gets. "New Phil" or not, he still likes to come out of his shoes more than most.

0 comments: