Monday, August 29, 2005

Shuffle Woes

I purchased myself an iPod Shuffle a couple of months back and have been using it off and on, mostly when I go to play golf and want something light to carry around with me to listen to various podcasts, music or whatever. I have to say, it sounds great and is very small and handy, but it's also got some serious issues.

First off, with my other iPod, I have the choice upon plugging it into my computer on whether or not to auto-sync or not. With the Shuffle, I don't have the choice. It syncs, and syncs, and syncs. So sometimes I end up having to wait for it to copy a bunch of unwanted music, eraseit, and drag what I really want to it manually.

Secondly, I know life is random, but I tend to want to listen to things in the order that I have set them up. For some reason, the Shuffle sometimes doesn't want to play my playlist in the order in which I had it on my computer. Maybe I'm not doing something right, I don't know. I
guess I need to research it more.

And lastly, the darn thing doesn't seem to want to plug into my front usb connector, so I have to use a usb extension cable that I have run from the back of my pc. Annoying. I'm currently looking into getting a new lcd monitor with a built in usb hub, so hopefully that will solve
that problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free. This thing drives me nuts sometimes.

1 comments:

Erik J. Barzeski said...

iTunes can keep a playlist set up for you, and then the Shuffle will only sync when you plug it in. If nothing in that playlist has changed, very little happens. USB 2 or 1? That'll affect speed, clearly, and as soon as you plug a USB 1 device into a USB 2 chain, the whole chain drops to USB 1 speeds.

If you sort that playlist by the first column, and put the switch on the shuffle NOT in random mode but in repeat mode (one click above random I believe), the playlist will play in that order.

The third and final issue seems to have something to do with your computer more than anything.