Monday, October 10, 2005

Rescue Review

Well, as indicated by my In The Bag section to your right, I have recently added a couple of rescue/hybrid clubs to my bag. I figured after a couple of years of hype, I may as well give them a try. I must say, so far I am pleasantly surprised. When the rescue/hybrid fad hit, I looked at it as just that, a fad. I figured, what do these things have that a good fairway wood doesn't? I also bought into the theory that if you couldn't hit a decent long iron, you weren't really a golfer. The last thought might be true, but I don't buy it anymore.

The first thing I noticed about them is that I can absolutely hammer them off the tee. Of course, they're not a driver or 3 wood, but they definitely go longer (for me) than a 3 or 4 iron, which is what they're supposed to be replacing. And while I had some control issues with them the first couple of rounds, they still give me more control than I would have on a day when my driver or 3 wood leaves me, and with acceptable distance too.

Secondly, out of the rough they are a dream. I don't know what it is about them, but they will smoke out of the rough where the same shot with a 4 iron would get you maybe 3/4 of your normal distance. Used to if I found myself in some of the bermuda rough that we have at my home course, I would pull out a 7 iron and not give it a second thought. Now I will be giving it a second thought.

Finally, I messed around a little with some off-the-green "putts" with, again, amazing results. I had previously practiced the same shot with a 7 wood with acceptable results. I don't know what it is about these rescue clubs, but they seem to give me much more control than the 7 wood.

I know some of this can be attributed to the "new club confidence" factor. Obviously, I will have to get some more rounds in before making them a permanent part of my bag. For now, though, I am very pleased with my results.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was browsing for information on biomechanics of the golf swing when I came acrosss your site, I sure enjoyed the read.
Its amazing what you find whilst you are browsing.
I hope to come back again.
Keep up the good work.

Regards
biomechanics of the golf swing