Monday, January 09, 2006

MacWorld Tomorrow

So everyone is all a buzz over what the big announcements will be tomorrow at the big keynote when MacWorld kicks off tomorrow. I have to say, I have never owned a Mac of any kind. The closest I have come to Apple products is current ownage of 4 iPods (yeah, I know, I have to get off my lazy butt and sell a couple). But even I am excited about what's next for the little company that could.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Mac Mini for a while now, but when I heard that they were going to be switching to Intel a few months back, I decided to wait. Rumors have been floating for a while that the first MacIntels might be introduced this week, roughly 6 months ahead of the schedule that Steve Jobs laid out originally. I think it's possible, and it's at least probable that there will be a working prototype at the event this week, with a promise of it's release in the spring.

Other rumors suggest an update of something in the iPod family, with (in my opinion) an update in the Shuffle line the most likely. The Nano is barely 6 months old and the big daddy, the iPod with Video is even younger. The Shuffle is easily the oldest in the group, and the one most in need of an overhaul. If they want to keep the "no screen, life is random" concept with the Shuffle, I'm not sure what they can do with it that will be that big of a deal, though. Maybe smaller, maybe thinner, maybe cheaper... who knows? I don't think they will go with a 2GB Shuffle and have it be at the same capacity as the smallest Nano, unless they drop the 2GB Nano and go with a 4GB and 8GB version. That's possible I guess. But in my opinion, 2GB is a little too much storage for a device with no screen.

I guess we'll all find out tomorrow. If they do introduce Intel-based laptops... my credit card is probably going to take a little beating in the near future.

0 comments: