Saturday, August 26, 2006

Off The Cart Path, Over The Clubhouse...

So I guess Tiger hit his approach into the 9th hole (his 18th) yesterday over the green, it bounced off the cart path behind the green, and then over the clubhouse and into a cart of crunchy cream pies being unloaded by a kitchen employee, one Josh Stuber. I guess Tiger also didn't get assessed any penalty strokes for this shot, and instead got a free drop after a laser was used to measure the distance from the flag. This brings up a question I have wondered about for a long time:

Are there ANY out of bounds areas on a golf course used in a professional tournament?

Sure, I have seen OB's in a very few instances, mostly in Europe, but you would think the way these guys seem to be spraying it all over God's Green Earth these days, they would run into OB's a lot more often than they do. I'm wondering now if the local rules of these courses aren't softened up a bit during a pro tourney week. You know, because TV types figure that we don't want to see our favorite players having to take stroke and distance like we have to every Sunday afternoon at the club.

Does Jim Furyk get to punch a 9-iron off the dinner plate of an old lady who lives just off the 8th fairway, but if I do the same thing next week I have to drop another ball and add a stroke?

Everyone has been talking about how to make these courses long enough and fair enough to deal with the extra distance gained by new technology. Here's my idea:

I say we start making "the ropes" OB in every pro tournament that's played. That way, when Phil sprays a ball into the gallery while trying to drive a short par 4, guess what? He's got to drop another ball and add a stroke just like me.

0 comments: