Friday, May 18, 2007

Sport or Not?

It's one of THE age-old questions in the game of golf, especially nowadays, with fitness getting more and more of a reputation in the elite levels: is golf a sport or not?

Truthfully, I'm a bit on the fence. I think golf is basically a sport, and that any game that requires at least some aspects of athelticism or coordination should be considered such. Is knitting a sport? No. Is table tennis? Yes. The obvious hand-eye coordination required,
combined with the mental aspects of the game, put golf squarely in the "it's a sport" realm in my eyes. But at the same time, I see the point of some folks, that if it doesn't require constant running and jumping, how can it really be a sport? Sure, being fit is better, but if
obviously fat, out of shape individuals can play at the elite levels, how can you call it a sport?

Riddle me this: I have seen some pretty overweight linebackers in my time who play quite well in the professional ranks of the NFL. Does that mean that football isn't a sport? Or if it is a sport, does it mean there are SOME athletes on the football field, but the fat guys
just don't fit into that camp?

Now, if golf is a sport, is it one of the most demanding? Not physically for sure, but I would argue that at the highest levels, it is probably one of the most demanding mentally. And of course as we all know, the great thing about golf is that it can be just as demanding (relatively) at the club level. I might not be Zach Johnson on the final day of the Masters, but I bet he and I have similar thoughts when I'm coming down the stretch of my local Club Championship.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with one being "no way it's a sport" and 10 being "it's just like rugby", I would have to put golf in the 6-7 range. Not the most demanding sport in the world, but a sport nonetheless.

0 comments: