Saturday, July 24, 2004

Public Links

No, I'm not talking about the golf tournament, nor am I talking about a public links-style golf course. What I'm talking about is working for the public. My sister has always said that everyone should have to have a job at least once in their lives where they have to work for the public. I tend to agree, although sometimes I think I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. What she's saying of course, is that if regular Joes are allowed to experience, just for a little while, the joys of public service, they might think twice the next time they are about to take the head off of the innocent cashier at the local BP Station.
 
I'm here to tell you, folks, people will treat you like you don't exist, like you're not human, the spawn of Satan himself... and I don't like it. I understand where it comes from. Maybe you're having a bad day and I just happen to be in the way when you decide to let all of the frustration out of your system. Or maybe you're pissed that your rates went up and, even though you know I only work there and have no control over the rates, I'm your only conduit to "the man". I just ask that you understand that I am, in fact, human, and that I have a life too. A life full of crap that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Everyone does. That's just life. Get over it. Do I take it out on other people who don't deserve it? Probably. Do I take it out on the customer who takes out their problems on me first? Definitely. And worst of all, if one customer jumps me for no reason, I just pay it forward to the next guy who walks in or who I talk to on the phone, who in turn gets mad and takes it out on the next person he sees.
 
See where I'm going with this? It's a vicious cycle that just goes round and round and round. It does no one any good in the long run. My suggestion is this: take it all out on your spouse. After all, that's what you have them for. And if you do a really good job and get in a fight with them... well, we all know how good the make-up sex can be.
 

0 comments: