Monday, August 23, 2004

I Don't Really Believe In Handicaps

At last count, my handicap was teetering somewhere between 18 and 20. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really believe in handicaps as it relates to golf, or any other sport for that matter. Of course, most sports don't have handicaps, so it's not an issue. I just don't feel that someone should be "rewarded" for not being as good as someone else. I would guess my boss, for instance, is somewhere around a 7-10 handicap. I shouldn't be given free strokes when we have a match just because I'm not as good at the game as him. It's only my fault if I'm not as good. He practices more than I do, he plays more than I do, so he should naturally be better. If I'm not willing to put in the time to become a better player, he shouldn't have to pay for it. It's up to me to rise to his level, not up to him to be brought down to mine.
 
I understand what handicaps are for. If I want to have a match with someone who is either better or worse than me, we can both take our handicaps and have a good, competitive round. But to me it's not competition if you're not truly playing at the same level. Do the Lakers give a few shots to the Bulls because the Bulls can't play at the same level as them? No. So why should my local Club Champion give me a few strokes? It's not fair, to me or to him. He's just the same as being penalized for being the better player, and I'm not going to have the drive to become a better player as long as I know I have my handicap to lean on.
 
I've never been much of a tournament golfer and I've just about decided that my dislike of handicaps is one of the main reasons why. I don't feel that I should even compete if I don't truly feel that I have a fair chance. If you can't win, don't play. And if I have to use my handicap to facilitate a victory, to me that's not a victory at all.
 

0 comments: