Monday, August 23, 2004

Who's The Best?

Well, not the best. I got to thinking while watching the tournament today that the media hasn't really latched onto anyone to take over the title of "Best Player Yet To Win A Major". They're too busy scrambling around wondering if the sky is falling because Tiger is no longer dominating the tour. So I guess it's up to me to figure it out.
 
If we go simply by the Official World Golf Rankings, Padraig Harrington is the only player in the top 10 without a major. If we instead look at the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index, Scott Verplank and Jerry Kelly could make a case as well. Has Jay Haas won a major? Sergio Garcia and Robert Allenby are right there on both lists, and if Chris DiMarco has another season like this one (and doesn't win a major), he could well be the one with the monkey on his back by the beginning of the 2006 season.
 
It's a tough call, but strictly from a "newsworthy" standpoint, I would guess that if the media made a pick tomorrow they would go with Sergio. He clearly exhibits a lot more fire that the rest of the candidates, and would openly relish the challenge if it were put upon him. So I guess I'm going to go with Sergio too. In the end, it's all just media hype. And as I said before, they have plenty to talk about right now anyway.
 

0 comments: