Friday, August 13, 2004

Old Rivals

I just set up a match for Sunday with probably my biggest golfing rival over the past 15 years. My ex-boss and I have always played at close to the same level, even though we haven't played much together since we parted ways about 7 years ago.
 
We were both at the peaks of our games about 10 years ago, a direct result of a weekly match play event with my dad and one of his friends. They were mutch better players than we were, and as we all know, there's nothing like good competition (and a little money on the line) to help raise the level of your game. But things happen, everyone drifts apart and we both came back down to earth as far as our games are concerned.
 
We only play about 2 or 3 times a year nowadays. But still, nothing gives me more satisfaction in my golfing life than to beat him just one more time, and nothing disturbs me more than to lose. I came away last season with the series, but who knows what this year will bring? Even though he (supposedly) hasn't been playing very much this year, we both somehow manage to raise our games when it comes to competing against each other.
 

0 comments: