Tuesday, August 10, 2004

PGA Predictions

My boss and I were discussing our PGA Tournament predictions this morning. I always ask him his picks and, although he has yet to pick a winner this year, he usually manages pick someone who ends up in the top 5. We both agreed on Tiger Woods and John Daly. He added Vijay Singh and Kenny Perry. I know what you're thinking: "Kenny Perry? What the heck?". Let me explain that we are Kentuckians and I think Kenny is more of a wishful thinking pick than anything else. Kind of like always sending the Wildcats to the Final Four on the NCAA Tournament bracket. By the same token, I think I will add Phil Mickelson to my picks list. I've always been a fan of Phil's. He's a lefty like me, and I'd love to see him bookend his season with majors. So we have:
 
My Boss' picks: Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh, John Daly and Kenny Perry
My picks: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and John Daly
 
It's a longshot, but I would love to see Daly win the PGA, if for no other reason than to give him a better shot at the Ryder Cup. Some think that Daly has the potential to lose it in the Ryder Cup and therefore it would be a mistake for Hal Sutton to make him a Captain's pick. That may be true, but I think the fact that he's won 2 majors proves his ability to rise to the occasion in big events. Daly can be a train wreck, that's for sure. But so are we all. To see Daly perform well in the Ryder Cup, for his team and for his country, would make us all feel that given the opportunity, we could do the same.
 

0 comments: