Monday, August 09, 2004

The Ryder Cup & John Daly

The Ryder Cup is one of my all-time favorite golfing events, second only to the Masters. The idea of fighting for your country, coupled with golf being turned into a team event for 3 days... it just works for me. I mean, where else will you find Phil Mickelson rooting for Tiger Woods, or vice versa?
 
Even so, the matches have somewhat lost their luster for me in the past several years. Between hearing that some of the players think they should be paid for the matches, and also the controversy over Brookline in 1999, it's just not the same as it was before. To me, to bring John Daly into the mix would be a breath of fresh air. Daly could inject some personality into a U.S. Team that seems to have been a little bland in recent years.
 
I think Brookline was a good thing. Maybe it wasn't a good showing of sportsmanship, but it was a good showing of emotion. I think it was blown out of proportion. It was an emotionally charged situation and one can only expect the winning team to react the way they did. If they hadn't, I would have suspected they were all robots and not human beings. Win or lose, I want to see the human, emotional side of the players. I hope we will see that side of the U.S. Team this year.
 

0 comments: