Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Pelz Method

I've just recently purchased, and am now reading Dave Pelz' Short Game Bible. While I to try to stay away from the technical aspects of the golf swing (it tends to ruin my game even more, if that's even possible), I decided to get this book because I'm at the point where I'll try just about anything. I would have to say, having read only the first 3 or 4 chapters, I'm really impressed with the physics and statistics that Pelz puts into his method.

One example that I particularly like: tour pros, in Dave's research, tend to have a 7% variance on any full swing shot. That is, if the average pro hits a full wedge from 100 yards, he's going to be (on average) within 7 yards, or 21 feet of his target (keeping in mind, of course, the true target is not necessarily always the hole). Now, if that same pro hits a full 5 iron from 200 yards, using the same 7% variance, he would be (on average) within 14 yards, or 42 feet. So, 42 feet away from the target, maybe this particular pro lands in a bunker. Maybe he finishes the hole with a 5 instead of the 3 or 4 he would have gotten had he landed on the green. He goes to the next tee disgusted with the "bad" 5 iron he hit to get himself in the bunker. But statistically he was within the 7% average of tour pros. Had he had a stronger short game, he might have still been able to get that par.

It's a very interesting read. I would definitely recommend it. I would even go so far as to say I have seen some improvement in my short game already, without even having had the chance to practice too much yet.

0 comments: