Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ah, The Good Old Days

Here's a very interesting article I found via the Sand Trap. Apparently some dude pitted the modern Pro-V against some balls that were (supposedly) manufactured to 1985 specs in a 9 hole match. Needless to say, the Pro-V dusted the '85 ball, with (in some cases) 100 yard differences off the tees and 2 to 3 club differences on approach shots. That's pretty crazy if you think about it. Everyone knows that the modern golf ball goes farther than balls from 20 years ago, but I never really thought that there was that much of a difference. Now I understand the position that distance is out of control and that the golf ball is the easiest way to control it, but I also don't want to have to tee off with a featherie the next time I'm at my home course.

Anyway, I won't go too much into it here, because the Sand Trap and Guardian Unlimited deserve a few hits too, but for anyone out there with any interest at all in the distance debate, this article is a must read.

0 comments: