Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Death Of A Floppy

When exactly did the floppy die? Is it even really dead yet? We still use Sony Mavica cameras where I work. It's only a matter of time, though. I've heard rumblings of our Sonys getting replaced sooner than later. For my part, personally, the floppy is gone. I don't even have a floppy drive in my home PC, and haven't had a reason for one.

I'd say, for me anyway, the final demise of the floppy came with the popularity and affordability of USB flash drives. Recordable CD's put up a good fight, but even now they're still not as convenient as floppies for everyday use. But USB drives are just as convenient, even moreso when you consider the amount of storage available.

So here's to the floppy disk. You have been a good friend. I will remember you fondly.

0 comments: