Monday, July 11, 2005

Back Across The Pond For A Week

So here we go; The British Open, the Open Championship. I've previously let my opinion be known on that subject, but whatever you want to call it, the third Major of the year is upon us.

I'll have to be honest in saying that this one has kind of sneaked up on me. I hadn't really remembered that the British was this week until my Dad mentioned it to me yesterday. I've not been following, or playing golf that much the past couple of weeks, for whatever reason.

What's my prediction, you ask? I'm not sure. It's hard to call this year. From what I understand, St. Andrews is more of a long ballers' course, at least moreso than some of the others in the rotation. It seems to be a little more open, which I guess means the big hitters can fly it all over Creation and still manage to get out of the hole alive. Witness John Daly, and Tiger Woods. In the same vein, everyone who reads this blog knows I'm a big fan of "The Mick", so as far as who I'll be rooting for, Phil tops the list.

Something in my gut is telling me that this time a European is going to walk away with the Claret Jug. The Europeans are all just playing too well and are too comfortable with the style to not make some kind of an impact. Padraig? ..Maybe. Sergio? ..Possible, but I don't see it. Darren Clarke? ..Hey, I think that's it! That's who I'm going to go with. I'm picking Darren Clarke to win the Open, the British Open.

0 comments: