Friday, March 17, 2006

Mac Update

I absolutely love my new Mac Mini so far. It does take a little getting used to. The mouse movements are, for lack of a better word, a little "muddy". Thankfully, I found a nice little program called Steermouse via a post on Plastic Bugs. Other than that little hiccup, I would have to say that working on a Mac (compared to Windows) is an exercise in elegance. Everything about it OSX seems to have been put together with 'user experience' in mind. This is no surprise to me, being an iPod user. The iPod user experience is second to none in my opinion.

Next to OSX, Windows feels more of a tool. OSX is an experience. Admittedly, this is from someone who's Windows experience is now old news, but I think I would be safe in saying that someone who switched from OSX to Windows would not come to the reverse conclusion.

I will say that my experience with Front Row has not been all that I expected. I'm still having some troubles getting it to talk to my Windows machine, as my plan was to be able to stream content from my main box with more drive space (Windows) to my Mac Mini. I'm sure this is just some setting that I'm not seeing, and truthfully, I've not taken the time to try to figure it out. I purchased the Mini as a computer first and media center second, so right now Front Row is not a big priority.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a few things I still have to do that are Windows specific, I'd probably get rid of my Windows box altogether and make the Mini my full time PC.

1 comments:

Erik J. Barzeski said...

I've never used SteerMouse, but I have used USB Overdrive for years with my Logitech mice and it's done a beautiful job.

If you want a registration code for PulpFiction, send me an email.