Friday, September 14, 2007

FedEx Cup Opinion

I know a lot has been said about the FedEx Cup, its limitations and its flaws, but I have to admit, these last four tournaments have had me, for lack of a better term, "glued to my seat". I don't really have any excuse other than I just have this feeling as I'm watching that these tournaments somehow mean "more" than normal season-ending events. Heck, I hadn't even been watching the Tour Championship for the past couple of years, but somehow this season it seems like it's more prestigious than before. Have I fallen for what Finchem and Co. have put down; am I drinking the Kool-Aid on this?

Perhaps, but at the same time, who cares? If this little move accomplishes getting me more interested in post-major TV golf, and I enjoy what I'm seeing, what does it matter if I'm getting taken in by all the hype? It's like someone giving you a fake diet pill. If it's fake, but it does the job you want it to do even though it's all in your mind, who cares?

I know if they manage to stay with this thing, it will get better and better as the seasons go by. I don't know right now, if it weren't to be tweaked a little, if it would accomplish making the big guns play together more throughout the season and in the playoffs, but I think at the very least, based on what I'm seeing now, it has potential. And that's really all you can ask for something like this in its first season.

0 comments: