Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why Can't the US Win?

I saw an interesting special on the Golf Channel last night, a 30 minute examination of the past several Ryder Cups which should have been titled, "Why Doesn't the US Dominate Like They Are Supposed To?"

Probably my favorite part of the program were the interviews with the Captains, and with Paul Azinger in particular. He addressed the comments that the US doesn't seem to have fun and gel as a team. He essentially says it's not because they are individuals and don't know how to play as a team, it's simply because they have not been winning. It's the chicken and egg thing. A lot of people think we are not winning because we don't have fun, but Azinger says we don't seem to have fun because we're not winning. It's a valid argument and one that I happen to agree with.

The sad thing is, if Europe ends up winning, Azinger's methods and opinions will probably be thrown out with the trash, just like Hal Sutton's pairing of Tiger and Phil in his year as Captain. Tiger and Phil will likely never be paired again, simply because it didn't work the one time. I think I've posted here before that I think the pairing didn't work because both weren't playing well at the time, Phil in particular. It wasn't because they don't like each other. They might well hate each other, I don't know, but they are both professionals and I guarantee you both of them wanted to win just as much as their opponents.

I hope Jack Nicklaus finds his way back to Captain again in either the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup. He's the only one I can think of who would have the guts to pair the two together again. And he would be able to put them out there with the right attitude, that at the end of the day, it's just a competition and win or lose, it's not the end of the world.

0 comments: