Wednesday, September 15, 2004

On The Bandwagon?

 So apparently Michael Jordan joined Team USA for dinner on Monday night. Say what you want about MJ, but you can't say he's not a winner. And you also can't say he's not a fan of golf and a supporter of the Ryder Cup.

I remember when I first became a fan of Jordan's, and the Bulls. It was the early 90's, when they were just beginning to tear through the NBA with reckless abandon. Like a lot of people who didn't really follow the NBA (and like many who did, I suppose), I wasn't immediately a fan of Jordan's. I resented the media hype that surrounded him. I was on the search for a team to call my own and thought I had settled on the New York Knicks. But after watching the Bulls play a few games, I couldn't help but get caught up in the way they played the game, most notably Jordan. I remember watching a game between the Knicks and the Bulls and found myself rooting for the Bulls before the game was over.

So there I was. I was firmly on the "bandwagon" and couldn't get off. But then again, don't we all become fans of certain teams when they're playing well? I mean, unless you live in a certain area or have been raised as a fan of a certain team, you don't just go out and pick a team out of a hat and say "I think I'll be a fan of <insert team name>". It doesn't work that way. And you don't normally become a fan of a team who isn't playing well, because they just don't grab your attention.

So yes, I became a Bulls fan in the early 90's. But I think the difference between me and what I call a "bandwagon fan" is that I remain a Bulls fan to this day. And I will remain a Bulls fan, no matter if they win 10 more titles or no more titles. I thank Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin, Phil Jackson and the rest of the Bulls for that. They gave me a team to root for, and a lot of good memories to boot.
 

0 comments: