Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My Thoughts on Phil's Two Drivers

Much has been made of Phil Mickelson's use of two drivers in the Masters last week. Some have said it was genius, some have bordered on calling it blasphemy. No matter what your opinion, the fact is that it worked. I don't know when I can remember seeing Mickelson have a better driving week, especially during a major.

I have to admit that when I first heard about it, I wasn't that thrilled. There's something about the 'he copped out' idea, when you consider that he was basically using technology, not talent, to his advantage. As someone said, he was able to step up to the tee and make the same swing, but get different results because of the way the club was built. But then I got to wondering, what's the difference between having two drivers and having three or four wedges? Certainly a pro is talented enough to make a 56 degree wedge do whatever he wants, especially when you consider that it would be milled to his exact specifications, so why would he need to have a 60 degree wedge also?

I guess my point is that at the end of the day, you are allowed 14 clubs in your bag. If you want two drivers, five 7-irons, four wedges and three putters, and it's legal to carry that configuration, who's to say whether it's right or wrong to do so?

0 comments: